Hello, hello. How is your day going?
am was in Chicago last week helping my dad out with some work, now in Florida with my mom, and wanted to let you all know how I stay healthy while traveling. I know it is hard sometimes to get in as many fruits and vegetables while traveling but it can be done with a little planning. Both while traveling and when you are at your destination.
In Transit Tips:
– pack whole fruit: bananas, apples, oranges
– pack protein and fats to keep you full: nuts, nut butter, jerky (if you are a meat eater), protein powder, healthy bars
-pack a small treat so when you see all the donuts, pastries, ice cream, etc at the airport you don’t buy them, instead have a piece of dark chocolate or something to crush that craving without a $5+ sugar and fat filled airport item
– bring a water bottle to refill and actually fill it and drink it!
Eating Healthy at your destination:
-Find the closest grocery store and buy healthy snacks and breakfast/lunch food
-If breakfast is not included in your hotel cost then stock up on healthy breakfast items. I buy plain greek yogurt and pair it with some fruit and nut butter plus the protein powder I bring from home
-Eat whole fruit as snacks or trail mix, minimal ingredient bars/snacks
-Order a salad for lunch or start dinner with veggies
What I did in Chicago:
– Packed lots of protein/snack bars: better safe than sorry! I packed like 10 bars, a bunch of nut butter packets, a bag of pretzels, trail mix, plantain chips, drink powders, and fruit
– Packed airplane snacks: banana and nut butter, pretzels, quest & kind bars
– Took a large Tervis cup to use for coffee AND water
– Went to Trader Joe’s on my first day: bought plain greek yogurt, blueberries, bananas, trail mix, sparkling water, makings for dinner (I was lucky my dads gf lives there so we ate in Monday/Thursday), plus went back the next day for a pre made salad and egg white salad to eat for dinner in my room.
-Eat leftovers for lunch
M: travel day- banana/pb,trail mix, dry chez cereal & coffee for ‘breakfast’
early lunch- ahi tuna burger with cajun fries (didn’t eat the bun but killed a portion of french fries= balance)
dinner in- ginger cod, roasted kale, butternut squash, & brussels plus carrots and hummus while making dinner
T: bfast- Plain greek yogurt, chocolate protein powder, 1/2 banana mashed in, blueberries, granola & coffee
lunch in- leftover cod, kale/brussels/squash, plus some granola and lots of tea
dinner- TJ’s Kale salad and egg white salad and some plantains with almond butter
W: bfast- banana and peanut butter, trail mix, quest bar, coffee
lunch- house salad with grilled calamari and bred with tomato sauce
Th: bfast- plantains and peanut butter, lara bar, trail mix, coffee
lunch- ti’s kale salad and more egg whites with chives salad, plus some more trail mix
dinner- chips and hummus, salad with squash, kale, avocado, garlic shrimp, and leftover pizza
F: bfast- plain greek yogurt with shakeology, granola, 1/2 banana, and chocolate chips, an orange, plus coffee
lunch- salad with leftover cod, squash, kale, and avocado
As you can see I had a lot of grocery store/home meals even while traveling. We ate dinner in 3 nights and left I used leftovers for lunches (leftovers from both in and out dinners) , I took snacks with me but also picked some up at the store. Finding a Trader Joe’s or Whole Foods makes it super easy to pick up some easy meals since they have prepared stuff that doesn’t have a bunch of extra stuff added to it! Most breakfasts were eaten while working, which is why they were more snack like, i.e. bars/trail mix/fruit. We got to work around 6/7 each day and were setting up computers until 9 am so I got hungry before we got a break so it worked.
Hope you enjoyed my take on healthy eating when traveling. I didn’t add my snacks in there but they were eaten. Kinda funny that at a big dental show each both was handing out candy 🙂 I picked up a lot of chocolate!
How do you stay healthy when traveling? I am leaving Florida today and picked up a salad from the hot/cold bar at Whole Foods yesterday to eat at the airport! Plus extra snacks for us.